This dessert is quick, easy and absolutely loved by everybody! We recommend serving it with a drizzle of cream, a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or a dollop of custard for the whole family to enjoy.
- 3 or 4 cooking apples
- 50g soft brown caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g butter or margarine
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 20cm x 25cm ovenproof dish
- Peel, core and slice your apples before putting them in a large saucepan until it is half-full.
- Add a small amount of water, just enough to cover the bottom of the saucepan (not the fruit) and add the soft brown caster sugar to taste – it is better to start with less and add more later if your apples taste too sharp.
- Cook on a medium heat until the apples are soft (between 6 to 10 minutes).
- Whilst the apples are cooking you can prepare the crumble mixture by rubbing together the flour and the butter (or margarine) until it reaches a breadcrumb texture.
- Mix most of the golden caster sugar into flour and butter mixture, but save some for the top.
- You can add 50g of rolled oats and chopped nuts for a more crunchy topping.
- Add the ginger and cinnamon powder to the apples and mix together – this step is optional, you can always leave one or both of them out if you would like.
- Pour your apple mixture into your ovenproof dish, making sure the filling is level before covering in the crumble mixture.
- Finally, add the left-over golden caster sugar on top of the crumble.
- Cook in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 30 minutes, until the crumble is golden on the top.