These burgers are absolutely delicious and, even better, they are so good for you! This is a great option for vegan or vegetarians and it is super easy to prepare. Once you have tried them, you will be choosing them over beef burgers every time!
We have used tinned jackfruit because it is much more common in supermarkets. However, if you have fresh jackfruit then that will work just as well.
- 2 x 400g tins of jackfruit
- 1 x 200g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and finely chop the red onion before adding it to the pan.
- Once the onion is soft, stir in the cinnamon, cumin seeds and the smoked paprika.
- After heating for a few minutes, add the tabasco sauce, as well as the apple cider vinegar and the BBQ sauce to the pan.
- Mix well then add the chopped tomatoes and both cans of jackfruit, once it has been drained of the liquid.
- Add 200ml of water and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring after every 5 minutes, with the lid on the pan.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes before serving.
- You can serve your burgers however we see best. We recommend fresh bread rolls, with some fresh lettuce, coleslaw and cheese (if your vegan you can always use vegan cheese). If you are really hungry we recommend some sweet potato wedges as a side – they are delicious and very easy to make.