We love jam, and we definitely think it tastes better when it is homemade. It is best served with some fresh bread and butter or even cheese and crackers as an afternoon snack. Make sure your empty jam jars are completely sterile before you use them, and don’t forget to keep your jam in the fridge once you have opened it.
- 500g fresh figs
- 1 orange
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- Wash and chop your fresh figs. It is up to you how big you want the fig chunks to be, the smaller the pieces the smoother the jam.
- Add the figs and 75ml of water into a large saucepan.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes, or until the figs are soft.
- Zest half of the orange and juice half of the lemon whilst you let the figs simmer.
- Add the orange zest, lemon juice and the sugar to the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly for 7 minutes, or until the jam has thickened (spoon off any scum from the surface whilst you do this).
- Once it has thickened, remove the jam from the heat and leave it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the jam into your clean jars and seal the lids. Leave the jam to cool completely.