These cupcakes are definitely one of our favourites. They make look simple but they are absolutely delicious. For the filling you can use homemade Lemond curd (recipe below), a shop bought one or none at all.
- 3 eggs
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz butter
- 6oz self-raising flower
- 4 lemons
- Cream together the butter and the sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the eggs before sifting in the flour
- Add the zest of the lemons and a squeeze of lemon juice (not the juice of all our lemons) and mix.
- Finally add a splash of milk to the mixture before one last mix.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake cases. There should be enough batter to fill 12 cupcake cases nicely.
- Bake them at 180 degrees celsius for 12-15 minutes, until they are a golden brown colour.
If you prefer your cupcakes without filling or buttercream you can finish your cooking now, the cupcakes still taste delicious! However, we filled out cupcakes with lemon curd and topped them with buttercream
For the lemon curd filling:
- Add the juice of 3 lemons and their zest to a heatproof bowl, along with 100g of caster sugar and 50g of unsalted butter.
- Heat the mixture over a pan of boiling water and stir regularly until all the butter has melted.
- Whisk one egg and an extra egg yolk in a separate bowl.
- Add the whisked egg mixture to the heatproof bowl and whisk until all the mixture has combined.
- Let the mixture cook for 15 minutes or until it has thickened to a constituency which you are happy with.
- Let the lemon curd cool before filling the cupcakes.
Once your cupcakes have cooled use a knife to cut out a shallow core, before spooning your lemon curd into their centre.
If you don’t have time to make your own lemon curd then you can always buy some from the shops.
For the buttercream:
Whisk together 85g of softened butter and 175g of icing sugar before piping the mixture onto your cupcakes. You could always add some lemon juice for an extra fresh flavour.