This ratatouille is a great way of making sure you get all of your five-a-day in only one dish! Healthy, simple, and with only one pot it saves on the washing up too! What more could you ask for?
- 3 small aubergines
- 3 medium courgettes
- 3 peppers (red and yellow)
- 2 red onions
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 8 basil stalks(and leaves)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Chop all of your vegetables into medium-sized chunks.
- Place a large dish on the heat and fry the vegetables, in a small amount of oil, until they are soft.
- Remove the vegetables from the dish and place them on the side.
- Add the onions, garlic, thyme and basil stalks to the pan, with some oil, on a medium to low heat. Place the lid on the pan and allow the onions to sweat until they are soft and start to caramelise.
- Add both the fresh and tinned chopped tomatoes to the onions, as well as the balsamic vinegar.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the lid back on the dish and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the dish, before replacing the lid, and put the dish in the oven at 150 degrees celsius for 40 minutes.
Why not make this dish your own by trying out different spices and flavourings?
Ratatouille is one of our favourites, because it is healthy, colourful and it goes with everything! Jacket potatoes, fish, meat or even pasta – the list is endless!